Linda Qiao is a Senior International Counsel in the Corporate and Capital Markets Practice Group of Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP. She is based in the Shanghai Representative Office.
Her areas of practice include mergers and acquisitions, cross-border direct investment, employment, corporate finance, and insolvency and restructuring, and she has represented government-linked entities, listed corporations, SMEs, funds and private equity investors in their cross border transactions in and out of the PRC.
Linda is particularly active in advising clients in the hospitality industry in the preparation, negotiation, amendment and finalization of hotel/serviced apartment management agreements, as well as documents for branded residential projects, and her clients include Fairmont Raffles Hotels International, Minor Hotel Group, Capella Hotel Group, Banyan Tree Hotels & Resorts and Oakwood Asia Pacific Ltd.
She also acted for the liquidators of Lehman Brothers in its winding-up of China business and related matters, for which Rajah & Tann LLP's involvement won the IFLR Award for Restructuring Deal of the Year 2009.
Linda was recognised as one of China’s Elite 50 Lawyers at foreign firms by China Business Law Journal in 2018 and has recently been recognised again as one of China’s Elite 100 Lawyers at foreign firms by China Business Law Journal in November 2019.
Merger & Acquisition
- Acted for a foreign listed healthcare group in the acquisition of equity interests in hospitals in Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Luoyang and Wuxi.
- Acted for a Singapore company in the disposal of two companies (including its land and buildings) in Kunshan, Jiangsu Province, China.
- Acted for a Singapore company in the disposal of a company (including its land and buildings) in Shanghai.
- Acted for a Singapore listed company in the disposal of a company and the factory in Shenzhen.
- Acted for a Singapore listed company in the acquisition of a company in Shenzhen.
- Acted for a Singapore company in the disposal of its equity interests in a company (including its land and buildings) incorporated in China (Shanghai) Pilot Free Trade Zone to a listed company in China.
- Acted for a foreign investor in the acquisition of 70% of equity interests in a textile company in Nanjing, China.
- Acted for a PRC listed company in its acquisition of shares in a Malaysia rubber company.
- Acted for a foreign investor in the acquisition of a company in Beijing (which company's main asset is a website owned by the founder of the target company).
- Acted for a PRC start-up company (which is in the e-commerce industry) in the investment by an investor (which is one of the largest real estate developers in China).
- Acted for a Hong Kong listed company in their acquisition of a cement project in Vietnam.
- Acted for Star Education on the proposed acquisition of an education group.
- Acted for a Singapore- real estate developer in their disposal of their shares in two hotel companies in Haikou and Shantou respectively
- Acted for a Singapore-owned foreign invested enterprise in Shanghai in its disposal of land and buildings in a bonded zone to a Singapore listed company.
- Acted for a Singapore listed company in the acquisition of a health product manufacturing company in Hangzhou.
- Acted for a Singapore bank in its RMB 2 billion acquisition of a real property in Shanghai, which property will be used as its regional headquarter in China.
- Acted for Prosper Line Investments Limited and Great Ocean Overseas Holdings Limited as vendors in the RMB2.483 billion disposal of their approximately 53% effective interest in Airport City Development Co., Ltd. (which is engaged in the development and operation of airport logistic facilities and provision of cargo logistic services, and is the sole developer of Beijing Capital International Airports airside cargo handling and bonded logistics area) to Global Logistic Properties Limited (listed on the Singapore Exchange).
- Acted for Ascott Serviced Residence (China) Fund in its RMB367 million acquisition of a Chengdu serviced apartment real property from Shui On China Central Properties Limited, which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Shui On Construction and Materials Limited (listed on the Hong Kong Exchange).
- Acted for DBS Bank Ltd. (Private Equity Group) in its acquisition of China Stationery Limited.
- Acted for GIC Real Estate Pte Ltd in several of its property acquisition projects (including the development of land) in PRC.
- Acted for Keppel Telecommunications & Transportation Ltd. in the acquisition of a logistics company in Shanghai.
- Acted for Macquarie MEAG Prime Real Estate Investment Trust in its RMB350 million acquisition of a retail mall in Chengdu.
- Acted for Richland Group Limited, which is listed on the Singapore Exchange, in its acquisition of a logistics company in Fuyang, Zhejiang Province.
- Acted for China Animal Healthcare Ltd. in its RMB288 million acquisition of a controlling stake in Inner Mongolia Biwei Antai Biological Technology Co., Ltd., which is engaged in the manufacture of biological animal drugs, and more particularly, vaccines for animal hand-foot-and-mouth disease.
- Acted for CWT Limited, which is listed on the Singapore Exchange, in its acquisition of a Hong Kong international forwarding company, which wholly owns an international forwarding company in Guangzhou.
- Acted for Morgan Stanley in a series of China-based M&A and financing projects (involving hundreds of millions of U.S. dollars in value offshore acquisition, onshore acquisition, offshore financing and onshore financing). Among them, the Shanghai Square Project was awarded Real Estate & Construction Deal of the Year by ALB in 2006.
- Acted for Siemens and Osram Sylvania in its acquisition of Langfang Tungsten Plant.
- Acted for Aggreko in its acquisition of GE business and reviewing of the PRC Employment Agreement.
- Acting for a Singapore bank on the feasibility study of a new financing product, Metal Repo.
- Acted for RHB on a personal guarantee provided by a PRC national.
- Acted for a UK company on a bank facility of £55,000,000 (mainly on the part related to Chinese companies).
- Acted for Colorland Animation Ltd. (subsequently known as China Animal Healthcare Ltd.), which is listed on the Singapore Exchange, in its S$175 million reverse takeover by PRC purchasers engaged in the production and sale of animal drugs.
- Involved in the Main Board listing of China Gaoxian Fibre Fabric Holdings Ltd. on the Singapore Exchange in September 2009 which raised S$116.5 million. The market capitalisation of the company post-listing was S$374.4 million.
- Acted for Zodiac in a shipyard financing project with Xiamen Shipyard.
- Acted for Hanwha L&C in its investment and financing in China.
Foreign Direct Investment
- Acted for a Singapore government linked company in its joint venture project in Ezhou City, Hubei Province, China in relation to the maintenance, repair and overhaul services of aviation equipment with one of the largest logistic companies in China.
- Acted for a Malaysia state-owned company in its joint venture project in Nanjing City, Jiangsu Province, China in relation to conducting certification activities in respect of IATF 16949 certification scheme.
- Acted for a Singapore investor in the investment into, and provision of financing to, a shipbuilding company in Ningbo City, Zhejiang Province.
- Acted for a Singapore hospital in the investment into a confinement home in Wuhan, China.
- Acted for a Japanese company on its joint venture with a PRC company in the automotive industry.
- Acted for a Japanese company on its joint venture with a US company in the automotive industry.
- Acted for a US listed company on matters relating to its PRC joint venture in Tianjin.
- Acted for a Thailand gold bullion and futures company on their application of international member with the Shanghai Gold Exchange (International Board).
- Acted for Jaya International on their China-related matters.
- Acted for ACCA on the compliance review of all their companies / branches in China, Hong Kong and Macau.
- Acted for OHL on matters relating to their joint venture in Qingdao.
- Acted for a Singapore investor in its proposed investment into property Eco-maintenance service industry in the Eco-city of Tianjin. The target core businesses include property and facilities management, property services program planning, promotion and implementation and taking over inspection and quality testing.
- Acted for Jurong Port Pte. Ltd. in the setting up of a joint venture with a Rizhao state-owned company, and the JV will be investing and managing wood chips, bulk grain (e.g., soya bean) and tapioca, edible oil, passengers, containers terminals in Rizhao port.
- Acted for Isyoda Corporation Berhad, a Malaysian listed entity, in its RMB386 million joint venture to construct, operate, manage and maintain a 25 year, 25 km waterway canal in Zhejiang Province, PRC.
- Acted for ABN-AMRO in its new business development.
- Acted for Standard Bank in its investment in China.
- Acted for an American investment company in its business of value added services related to telecommunication in China.
- Acted for Toyota Tsusho Petroleum Pte Ltd in the set-up of its Shanghai representative office.
- Acted for Tanla Mobile Ltd. in its strategic cooperation with a Chinese company in connection with wireless value-added services.
- Acted for Vita Holdings Limited, which is listed on the Singapore Exchange, in the lease of a whole building in Shanghai.
Entertainment & Hospitality
- Acted for Fairmont Raffles Hotels International (which is now part of the Accor Hotel Group) in drafting, negotiating and finalizing hotel management agreement and related agreements for Fairmont hotel projects in Beijing, Chengdu, Sanya, Nanjing, Taiyuan, Suzhou, Wuxi, Changsha, Zhengzhou, Hangzhou and Wuhan, PRC, Bali, Indonesia and Bangkok, Thailand.
- Acted for Fairmont Raffles Hotels International (which is now part of the Accor Hotel Group) in drafting, negotiating and finalizing hotel management agreement and related agreements for Raffles hotel projects in Beijing, Tianjin, Sanya and Shenzhen, PRC.
- Acted for Fairmont Raffles Hotels International (which is now part of the Accor Hotel Group) in drafting, negotiating and finalizing hotel management agreement and related agreements for Swissôtel hotel projects in Chengdu, Changsha, Sanya, Xi’an and Hangzhou, PRC.
- Acted for Minor Hotel Group in drafting, negotiating and finalizing various hotel management agreements in the PRC.
- Acted for Alila Hotels and Resorts (now renamed as Tworoads Hospitality) in drafting, negotiating and finalizing various hotel management agreements in the PRC.
- Acted for Capella Hotel Group in drafting, negotiating and finalizing hotel management agreements for Capella and Solis hotels in Shenzhen, Suzhou and other cities in PRC.
- Advised Banyan Tree Hotels & Resorts on hotel-related matters.
- Acted for Oakwood Asia Pacific Ltd in drafting and translating serviced apartment management agreement and related agreements for serviced apartment projects in Beijing, Tianjin, Wuxi, Suzhou, Chengdu, Guangzhou and Yangzhou, PRC.
- Advised a Chinese budget hotel group in its hotel project in Thailand.
- Acting for a Singapore statutory board in preparing its employee handbooks for all of its offices in China and other general employment-related advice.
- Acted for IHS (which is a premier provider of global market, industry and technical expertise) in the review of their template Employment Contract and Employee Handbooks to be used in Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen respectively and advised on various employment-related matters (including the termination of employment contracts under special situations).
- Acted for a US Software Solutions company in preparing, reviewing, revising Employment Contract, Employee Handbook and other documents relating to employment matters of its wholly-owned company in China and also preparing a detailed Employment Compliance Memorandum for China.
- Acted for a Japanese wholly-owned company in Shanghai in the review of their Employment Contract and Employee Handbook and advised on employment-related matters.
- Acted for ACCA (the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) for preparing a memorandum on legal issues relating to PRC employment laws and regulations.
- Acted for Northern Technologies International Corporation (a US listed company) for preparing a template Employment Contract to be used in China.
- Acted for Uniplas Group for various employment-related matters.
- Acted for TAK Group and China Horse Club in preparing a template Employment Contract and other employment-related matters.
- Acted for Capella Hotel Group on the termination of a General Manager for one of its hotels in China.
- Acted for Linxens on employment-related matters.
- Acted for a Singapore investor in its proposed investment in the data centre business in China.
- Acted for the world's largest hosting company which is listed in the US on the establishment of its business in China, including (i) advising on the various restrictions on foreign investment in the telecommunications industry in China and the appropriate corporate structure to adopt; (ii) advising on the telecommunications regulatory regime in China, (iii) assisting with conducting the necessary technical inspections and application for ISP, ICP and IDC permits in several cities in China (for the provision of, among other things, internet, web-hosting and domain name registration services in China), and (iv) advising on a commercial lease agreement for its office in Shanghai.
- Acted for a foreign investor in the acquisition of a company in Beijing, China (which company's main asset is a website owned by the founder of the target company).
- Acted for a PRC start-up company (which is in the e-commerce industry) in the investment by an investor and application of ICP License in China.
Insolvency & Restructuring
- Acted for Baker Tilly TFW LLP in the winding up of a Beijing WFOE.
- Acting for KS Distribution Pte Ltd in the restructuring of its 7 PRC subsidiaries. KS Distribution Pte. Ltd. is a subsidiary of KS Energy Limited, which is a leading one-stop energy services provider to the global oil and gas, marine and petrochemical industries. The shares of KS Energy Limited are traded on the main board of the Singapore Exchange.
- Acting for the liquidators of Lehman Brothers in its winding-up of China business and related matters (Rajah & Tann LLP's involvement in Lehman / Nomura Deal won the IFLR Award for the Restructuring Deal of the Year 2009).
- Acted for the Judicial Managers of Acropolis Electronics Pte Ltd in its disposal of China business and assets.
- Acted for Indonesian Sampoerna Group in the winding-up of part of its China businesses and related matters.
- Acted for Forbo Holding AG in its investment and restructuring of Forbo Shenyang.
- Advised CapitaLand Group in reviewing its Design Contract for Raffles City Chongqing.
- Advised Heinemann Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd. in its cooperation with Hainan Island Commercial Management Co., Ltd. to set up the duty free shop at Haikou Meilan International Airport, which is the first duty free shop in Hainan Province, China. In addition to providing the consumer goods and products to the Haikou Duty Free Shop, Heinemann also provides assistance in the design of the duty free shops and other forms of support. Heinemann's headquarter is in German and is a world leading supplier of consumer goods and products, and it has experience and know-how in the setting up of duty free shops.
- Advised the National University of Singapore (“NUS”) in its collaboration with Suzhou Industrial Park Administrative Committee to set up a research institute, NUS Suzhou Research Institute, in Suzhou Industrial Park (“SIP”) in China. NUS is the first foreign university to establish a research institute in SIP.
- Advised CIMB, a Malaysian bank, in reviewing the lease agreement of its Shanghai representative office.
- Advised the Singapore Traditional Chinese Medicine Board in its investigation of evidences in Guangzhou.
- Advised Ankang-Beijing Medical University Herbal Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. and its affiliated companies in their strategic cooperation with an American company.
- Advised People’s Bank of China Shanghai Headquarters.
- Advised Inventa-Fischer and UBS in connection with its PRC export and loan agreement disputes.
- Specialist Mediator, Singapore International Mediation Centre (SIMC) (2018 – Present)